Mentors and encourages
excellence in action
Develops new sources of funding and
expands the organization's impact
Opens doors and hearts to
bring the right people together
12+ years executive leadership experience growing & leading mission-focused organizations/social enterprises
• Listens deeply to all stakeholders • Formulates a vision that everyone can get behind • Develops innovative strategic plans
• Inspires, empowers, and mentors the team in execution excellence • Exceeds goals and expectations
20+ years marketing communications and development experience
• Highly effective in building awareness, reaching, motivating and engaging key decision makers
• Track record of generating significant incremental funding & increased value delivered to the community
One of my passions is figuring out what it takes to inspire people to choose to invest their time or money in something that improves the quality of life of others. Seeing the light go on in eyes and heart opening up and the good that comes from that is what feeds me.
— CORE COMPETENCIES —
• Nonprofit Leadership
• Executive Management
• Strategic Planning
• Budget Management & Reporting
• Operations & Administration
• Board Relations & Leadership
• Staff Management & Mentoring
• Team Development
• Volunteer Management
• Project Management
• Marketing Communications
• Promotions & Awareness
• Fund Development
• Sponsor Acquisition
• Partnership Development
• Social Media/Internet Strategy
• Community & Gov. Relations
• Organization Spokesperson
• Event Production
• Regulatory Compliance
— PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE —
Robert is an inspirational leader who aims for high results that serve a compelling purpose. He inspired me and those in his organization to always pursue excellence, reach higher and achieve more.
I found him to be driven to get the desired results no matter what the challenges. His perseverance is impressive. He handles stress well using a robust sense of humor to create perspective. He expected a lot from me, always trusting me to achieve results using my ample experience and skills, yet Robert was always ready to listen, offer advice and provide direction when needed. He is always approachable, listens well and is caring and compassionate. Yet he can exude gravitas and polished executive presence when needed.
I have worked with many leaders of alliances and non-profits. It is very rare to find a leader in these positions as intelligent and strategic as Robert, who can envision and successfully enact a compelling strategy. Robert does both well, moving effortlessly from big picture to ground level tasks and details as needed—yet never micromanaging his staff.
Author of Make Talent Your Business
Regional Business Leadership Development, Peer-Advisory and Coaching Organization
Worked with the Mayor of Portland & influential business leaders, founded this social enterprise to grow the economy and increase fair-wage jobs in the greater Portland / SW Washington area.
• Crafted the Vision, Developed the Strategic Plan and Led the Team in Successful Launch of this CEO Leadership Development Organization.
• Grew Regional Revenues & Employment: Member companies grew 2.36 times faster than comparable businesses in the region and collectively added an incremental $4.7-bilion and 6,692 jobs to the regional economy over 5-years.
• Developed & Grew Funding: Raised funds through corporate sponsorships, corporate membership fees & events.
• Solicited and won funding sponsorship from: Bank of America, Deloitte & Touché, Nixon Peabody, CorSource Technology, Miller Nash, Lithtex Printing, and several other companies.
• Recruited, Hired & Mentored a High-Performance Team: Staff members included a former Sr. VP of American Express, a nationally recognized thought leader and a highly respected regional leadership coach and consultant.
• Recruited & Led a Highly Supportive Board: Board members actively participated in member recruitment.
• Member Acquisition included 36 full corporate-level memberships and over 70 CEO participants.
• Build the Brand: Achieved wide awareness with targeted business leaders in Oregon and S.W. Washington.
• Shared the vision with the governor, mayor, chamber and influential business leaders to gain their support.
• Continually Improved Operational Excellence: Earned 9.82/10 in surveys that rated quality and value received.
• Produced over 50 innovative, executive forums with internationally acclaimed thought leaders, executive leadership development events, facilitated peer-advisory meetings, board meetings, and social events.
World’s Largest peer-advisory and CEO coaching organization
Recruited by the Sr. VP to increase member acquisition success.
• Improved Member Acquisition Success: Identified weakness in the sales process, designed and implemented changes that increased average prospect to member conversion rate from 57% to 86%.
As a member of the Chief Executives Club, I have had the opportunity to observe several strengths that Robert would bring to any organization.
He understands how to manage resources to deliver quality services within budget and with great attention to the customer. He has operated the CEC in the black each year, no small feat for a startup! The details are well managed and are high quality so that our experience is enhanced as members while the bottom line is met.
Robert is an articulate spokesperson whether before a large group, in a small social setting, or one on one. He represents himself extremely well as a professional and as a person; and always represents his organization in a way that is valuable to all stakeholders. Perhaps more importantly, Robert is a good listener who seeks ways to engage customers and colleagues in a meaningful way that seeks an honest, thoughtful exchange of ideas.
President and CEO, United Way of RI
Regional CEO Leadership Development, Peer-Advisory & Networking Organization (this nonprofit organization is now operated by Rhode Island College).
Working with the Governor & influential business leaders, founded this social enterprise to help the state’s flagging economy and increase fair-wage employment.
• Crafted the Vision, Developed the Strategic Plan and Led the Team in Successful Execution: In less than six-months, launched what become the premier leadership organization for the CEOs of multi-million and billion-dollar firms headquartered in the greater Rhode Island area.
• Grew Regional Revenues & Employment: Member companies collectively increased their gross revenues by over $2.7-bilion and created 3,274 additional jobs by the end of the worse economic conditions since the 1930s.
• Member companies grew or remained financially solid during the 2008 recession when the state of R.I. recorded the highest unemployment levels and worse economic conditions in the nation.
• Developed & Managed Coalitions, Partnerships & Alliances: Worked closely with the governor’s office and formed supportive alliances with the Chamber of Commerce, R.I. Economic Development Corp, three universities, etc.
• Recruited & Led a Highly Supportive Board: Board members included highly respected and influential business leaders who actively participated in member recruitment.
• Member Acquisition included 36 full corporate-level memberships and over 70 CEO participants.
• Produced High-Value Events: Identified, invited and hosted over 60 nationally acclaimed business thought leaders as guest speakers and workshop leaders at member meetings.
• Persuaded all 60 renowned leadership speakers to donate their time and waive all customary fees.
• Member services earned 9.78/10 in surveys ranking quality and value received.
Small Business Owner Leadership Development, Peer-Advisory, & Networking Organization
Launched this sister social enterprise in support of hundreds of small business owners in Rhode Island.
• Developed Funding & Alliances: Solicited and acquired funding sponsors and built supporting alliances with several Chamber of Commerce, the R.I. Economic Development Corp. and SBA
• Crafted the Vision, Developed the Strategic Plan and Led the Team in Successful Execution: Launched in 90-days.
• Designed & Led the Marketing Program: Grew membership from 0 to 60 business owners in less than six months.
• Led the organization in the design and production of over 50 member-meetings, educational forums, workshops, and network building events.
• Achieved a consistent 9.2/10 “value received” rating from participants and maintained 90% member-retention.
National Brand Marketing & Communications Agency
Cofounded and managed all business operations.
• Led & Managed Business: Solicited & developed new business, Recruited & mentored staff, Managed client relationships, Managed budget and financial reporting, etc.
• Provided & Reviewed Marketing Services: Brand Development, PR, Events, Marketing Communications Strategies & Program Management, Website Strategies & Development, Advertising, Social Media Strategy & Content, etc.
• Solicited & Won Top Clients: American Power Convers (APC), California Department of Transportation, Children's Hospital of Oakland, City of San Diego, Hewlett-Packard, Kaiser Permanente, Metabolife, The Standard Insurance Company, U.S. Strategic Command and many other companies and nonprofits.
Fortune 100 Multinational Information Technology Company
Robert is one of the few executives with the unique combination of innovative, big-picture, strategic thinking and a laser focus on execution excellence.
He is a highly effective leader, who has consistently exceeded expectations in both small organizations and within very large corporations like Hewlett-Packard.
The program you created was exceptionally effective in building the C-suite relationship my team needed. We will now be increasing sales to Citicorp by 60% in FY'95.
This marketing and sales program exceeded everyone's expectations.
VP Sales, Hewlett-Packard
Selected by the Executive Vice President to lead an international team in the strategy development and execution of HP’s first global C-suite marketing & sales program.
• Designed & Led the Most Successful Sales & Marketing Program in the Company's History: Achieved a high ROI ($113 in new sales for every $1 spent)—directly responsible for driving over $200-million/year in sales growth.
• Created & Produced World Business Leader Forums: Produced highly successful executive events on each side of the world.
• Designed & Produced Events: Over 100 events around the US and internationally with participant rating of 9.8/10.
• Negotiated & Managed $10M Sponsorships: Maximized deliverables & access in support of program objectives.
• Managed Budget: Kept $6 to $25M marketing programs on budget.
• Managed Agency Relationship: Oversight of advertising, collateral, PR, events and other services.
• Authored HP’s first Best Practices
Guide to Executive Engagement Programs & Sponsorship Marketing.
Selected by the Director of Hardcopy Group Marketing to lead an international team in HP’s first global printer supplies brand, dealer & consumer marketing communications program.
• Led an International Team: Development of HP’s first comprehensive brand messaging, channel marketing and co-op advertising strategy for the global printer supplies business (ink, toner, paper, etc.).
• Chaired the Advisory Board that included product managers, sales executives, wholesalers and retailers
• Managed $3M to $35M Agency Budgets: $3M creative & collateral budget and $35M coop advertising budget.
• Retained 90% Brand Loyalty: Minimized non-OEM market share as supplies business grew from $1.5 to $3.6B.
— EDUCATION —
• The Drucker Foundation – Marketing Leadership
• Tom Peters Company – Business Leadership
• Greymatter Group – Consultative Selling
• Decker Communications – Media Training
• CEC – MBA (equiv.) – Executive Leadership Program
• SUNY – Marketing Communications course work
• Montclair State University – Computer Science BS program
• Montclair State University – Financial Accounting course work
— COMMUNITY SERVICE INTERESTS —
Projects and organizations with a mission to provide immediate relief and/or sustainable long-term solutions to hunger, housing, health care, education, and access to economic opportunities that offer people a better quality of life.
— PERSONAL INTERESTS —
• Art, Sculpture, Music, Film, Cinema
• Connecting – Bringing People Together
• Business Leadership & Government
• Motorcycles & Motorcycling
• Sailing & Scuba Diving